Blog


Baby You Can Drive My Car

  I have a confession to make. I've had a love affair for years...with cars. It's true. I've always loved them.

  At 12, best friend, Vicky,  and I would sit on the carport at my house that was on a busy street to identify and pick out the cars we wanted.

  At 17, I started dating this good looking college guy. What cinched the deal, though, was the fact he drove a new 1967 Chevelle Supersport, Butternut Yellow with a black top. I looked so good riding around with him. I lived a block from the high school and could walk to school but the only day I did was on Friday when my boyfriend would pick me up after school in his hot car. 

  I married that guy and 2 daughters, 2 sons-in-law, 5 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild later, we're still married. My son-in-law and I bought the identical car for him for his 65th birthday. That sparked a renewed love for cars.

  As an artist, I express my love of cars through paintings. I had a solo show, Ode To Art Deco, and my friend, Rosemary, told me that the Art Deco cars from the 1930's were sleek and sexy. I did research and decided to paint, as a part of the show, the hoods only featuring the hood ornaments that are works of art in themselves. To date, I've sold 18 of the hood ornament paintings. You would think the paintings would be purchased by men for their office or man caves. That is the case but also, I've sold nine to women who have put them in their living rooms, kitchens, over their fireplaces. I guess other women love vehicles like me.

  I also love painting old trucks and all of old cars. My favorite part is painting the chrome. To make it look shiny, I have to paint what is reflecting in it. While I'm painting it feels wrong. After I step back, I see that it's right.

  I am painting for a Route 66 show at Raw 1899 in San Angelo in November, 2024. 6 artists will be featured. Each of us will have our own interpretation. The star of my paintings will be our 67 Chevelle. Maybe you can see it?

 

 

Read Full Post